juni 17, 2008

Two Lists

Soooo...I have been keeping two lists while here in South Africa...


One is a list of things I will definitely miss about our stay here.


The other list is of things I will totally NOT miss about our stay here.


Some of these are kind of like "inside jokes" that maybe only some people would understand, and please do realize that I write this "med glimten i ögat" and it is just my sense of humor.

List Number One then is
THINGS I WILL DEFINITELY MISS ABOUT OUR STAY IN SOUTH AFRICA:

  • Fitting easily into South African size 34 pants.
  • Roman’s Pizza
  • Café 41
  • Really cheap tasty Chinese takeout
  • Eating outside whenever we eat at a restaurant
  • Ranch dressing.
  • Big grocery stores with lots to choose from.
  • People doing our dishes for us.
  • The completely ideal weather during the daytime.
  • The beautiful view of the city from the Union Buildings.
  • Flowers and trees and animals I have never seen before.
  • The rich color of the earth.
  • All the beautiful African people everywhere.
  • All the times we got to hear ”Soooooo cuuuuuuuute!” when people saw Esther on our walks.
  • Our new friends the Pelesis.
  • Long, carefree walks with my family, with no other responsibilities other than just being with them.
  • Time for it to truly be just the 3 of us.

And the Second List,
THINGS I TOTALLY WILL *NOT* MISS ABOUT OUR STAY IN SOUTH AFRICA:
  • The Siberian Porcelain Toilet Seats of Frozen Death
  • Living in a studio apt (that would be ONE big room) with a new baby.
  • A showerhead that has a mind of its own, soaking the entire bathroom
  • Separate hot and cold spickets on every sink so that you can never get lukewarm water for the baby bottle.
  • Totally uneven sidewalks and no slanted curbs, making me wish that strollers came in all-terrain, 4-wheel drive models
  • That almost every slab of concrete along the sidewalks contain either dog footprints, cat footprints, shoe footprints, bike prints, or some combination of the aforementioned.
  • The pedestrian go signal that lasts approximately 2.6 seconds.
  • The INCESSANT honking of the white minivan transports, letting us know that there are seats available (and thereby startling sleeping infants).
  • That it gets dark at 6 pm.
  • The absurdly thin toilet paper.
  • The funny gourd-shaped knitted winter hats the African men wear.
  • The security gates / fences / razor wire / vicious guard dogs in front of every home.
  • The temperature in our room going down to 16 degrees Celsius at night.
  • The time it takes to shrink all of my huge photo files to 70 kb before I can upload them to the blog.
  • A car alarm that gets triggered around midnight and doesn’t get shut off until around 6 in the morning.
  • Looking the wrong way when I cross the street.
  • The confusing notion that chips are fries and crisps are chips.

5 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

And five minutes later... I'm still laughing about the toilet seat.

Anonym sa...

LOVAR att du inte behöver sakna att "alla" kommenterar hur sööööt Esther är! Eftersom det är dagens sanning kommer ni att höra det mååååånga gånger även här hemma!
Härlig lista!

Lycka till på hemresan!
//Anki i Höganäs

Anonym sa...

Jag saknar absolut Harries pancakes, det ligger på min lista!

Ni ser ut att ha det underbart!

Inga nyheter från abbas?

Anonym sa...

Ha ha ha båda listorna var lika underhållande för oss som har varit där två gånger. Vi skulle dock kunna lägga till några punkter.. men det kan vi ta en annan gång! Tack för att delar med er.

Brian and Kristina Schmitt sa...

you know they DO make all terrain stollers!